Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Nibe's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Default System upgrade gone wrong

My bad luck has struck really hard for my PC upgrade. I bought Ryzen 5800x CPU + ROG Dark Hero mobo to upgrade my aging 5820K i7. That Ryzen is insane cpu compared to my old i7. Everything runs at higher framerate and that Ryzen runs a lot cooler than my old i7 with a lot more performance and finally my GPU is the bottleneck of my frankenstein of a pc xD

So my bad luck started with a leak on my bigger 2x140mm water radiator, so I had to downgrade to a single 2x120mm rad. My original plan was to have 2x120 after cpu and 2x140 after GPU, but my chassis is too small for fit them both at the same time, so that leak doesn't really even matter. (And the system runs cool enough under heavy load with that 2x120 rad anyways.)

So I was enjoying better performance from mid august until early october until one saturday morning my pc wouldn't boot. Didn't even go over POST. So I check what Q-codes I can see from the mobo and I got that dreaded 0d code that no one knows meaning of (Reserved to future AMI Sec codes). So I got a replacement from RMA and the one I got was physically broken. RGB headers were bent inwards and start button was mostly ripped off from the soldering. So I had to RMA that one too.

I guess their RMA is handled by a bunch of ents, because it took like two weeks before they decided that I should send that mobo back for closer inspection. So I got an email last week about that they'll send me a new one and I'm still waiting my third ROG mobo to arrive.

So yea, I'm pretty sure that my rolls for luck were pretty low with this upgrade
    I am sad. My squadmate got killed today. He said that there is a Leo in the forest, but I couldn't see the forest because trees were on the way.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_Capelle's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I've never understood the need for water cooling on a PC rig. Unless you're doing professional media or crypto mining, a standard gaming rig in the last 7 years should support high graphics, 100-140fps, and any aspect of your choice without a drop of water. I game on a MSI Z87-G45 Gaming MB, with a Haswell i5 4690(K?), 32GB DDR3 1333mhz Corsair Vengeance LP, and a EVGA RTX 2060 SC 8GB GDDR6 to a QHD Monitor. I run WT on High and average 96 FPS. Though most of the flight is 140+ FPS, combat drags it down obviously. Beautiful either way. I suppose if I wanted to live at 140fps+ I'd have to step the whole machine up a notch, or go liquid cooled to overclock. Either way OC won't give me much better performance sustainably.

Sorry for your luck with the build! Hopefully you have a backup rig to keep shooting dirty!

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Watercooling makes your rig extremely silent, unless you're doing some high end oc. Don't know how quiet fans are on modern GPUs, but 400w+ max power draw needs a lot of air to blow through to keep it cool.

Knocking them out one at a time. AOD Member AOD_Macjagger's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Nibe is correct... I got same MB and CPU as well, picked up a Nvidia 4080 today... 2 actually i return one. Leaving in the box until Radeon 7900XTX comes out on Dec. 12... may pick that one up instead. I've been running at my RX570 OC to hell.. 4k at 60FPS with some settings turned down... That GPU has aged like fine wine. Do yourself a favor and look at the BeSilent cases... Mine is beautiful and runs cool as hell.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Looked at the specs of that 7900 XTX. I wish I had money to buy that one. That would bring my system to a modern high end gaming PC territory.

I run Radeon7 ATM and that 16 gigs of HBM2 memory with over 1Tb of bandwith and 4096 bit memory bus is still valid for gaming. Even in 4k. It is the GPU die itself that is getting a bit old. (Vega 20) so I might need to oc that one a bit.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_Capelle's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I'll stick my db meter next to my PC and see what I capture in WT, but I know via system monitor my system fans never hit more than 40% and GPU/CPU spin as needed, max rpm briefly between loading screens I'm sure. Overall, I would say it's quiet. If I had to throw a number, probably 10% above ambient (being that db rating comparison is relevant to the base sample).

I'm looking to slide into a 3080 if there's a good sale price. Otherwise the 3070 wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Regarding power consumption, while its true a 400w rated GPU does require significant cooling at that rating, more often than not the performance available vs performance utilized is different. If I use 70% of my GPU at High settings, more than likely a better card will do the same work easier and more efficiently, likely needing less power as well. The difference between a 90hp Honda Civid and a 455hp Chevy Camaro. The Honda will be full tilt up a mountain grade, where a Camaro won't even need to come out of overdrive and cruise control. 😄

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

eventually the 3080-90s will come down in price for that good dlss...

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

@Nibe That 5800x runs hot, WAY hot. By default, getting 1.4+ V way too much. I had to put in a .013xx offset just to get it to run reasonably cool on this board. in preparation of picking up my new GPU I have tuned up system...Running a 5800x + ROG Crosshair Hero VIII and I never bothered to overclock when I got it 18 months back.... After watching all kinds of vids, corrupting windows, reinstalling, trial and error, and recording PPT, VRM, and all kinds of data by hand on paper, I did a PBO Curve optimized OC and got a candidate stable OC running around 4875MHz. Then I saw the vid on Clock Tuner Ryzen by 1 the amazing 1usmus. OMFG This is an automated OC utility that benchmarks, then tunes based on Cinebench stress tests...It sets everything including an undervolted/low profile for normal use, a high profile for full throttle, and there is a hybrid OC mode which will switch automatically back and forth FTW! I just had to watch this vid and read the guide... what took me easily 80-10 hours manually I was able to complete in a few hours... It's amazing. My final result was 2 points lower than the highest scoring hero VIII + 5800x submission on the CTR list (golden sample thank you). Here is the video it's really well done and super easy and safe. Just read the guide when you download 2.1 and pay attention to LLC setting, PBO, and other default settings requirements. CTR runs a benchmark, grades your CPU (gold, silver, bronze). Then it finds the lowest stable voltage at stock+ speed, then it increments it up to find the highest stable OC. It doesn't tune the individual cores per CCX, it just finds the highest common speed per CCX so leaving a bit on the table. I was able to get a slightly higher manual OC (75MHz) but no way it was worth it. CTR was by far the best and easiest tune I have ever done. It can recover if the system crashes during tuning, then drops down and picks right back up...Called LOL "Pheonix Mode". Here is the link and my final result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jam4...bieSurvivalist
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CTR-Results.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	43337

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I don't have any need for OC. Default idle & Boost mode is good enough for my use. It still goes like 4,8GHz boosted. Got some parts and I'm good for gaming over this weekend. Now I can suffer again xDDD
    I am sad. My squadmate got killed today. He said that there is a Leo in the forest, but I couldn't see the forest because trees were on the way.